Saturday, August 16, 2008

the rest of the story...

so motherboard posts this really great story about how we met and i couldn't even get through it without crying. when she says she was a rockin' visiting teacher, she isn't kidding. she came every single month, with or without her companion, scriptures in hand and IN A DRESS! she had it so together and i was so jealous of her. see, i didn't know she lived down 'crack alley'. all i knew was what i saw. and that was this sharp dressed lady with her sharp dressed jefe and her perfect little things. she had this amazing knowledge of the scriptures and could sing like a bird! and she was so artsy fartsy too. why they made her my visiting teacher was beyond me. we could never be friends, we had nothing in common.

one day she showed up at my house and i almost didn't let her in. it was late in the afternoon and i was still in my jammies for goodness sakes! besides that, i was in the middle of a melt down and couldn't let her see me like that. i had been sitting at the kitchen table paying bills and as usual, our outgo was more than our income, our teenage daughter was testing her free agency, my son was going to be late for kindergarten (again), my mother-in-law lived with us, i was battling postpartum depression...and here's my visiting teacher at the door and she won't go away.

she came to my rescue that day. she took my son to school, brought me dinner, smiled when my mother-in-law insulted her and most importantly she listened to me. i can't count the times that motherboard has come to my rescue over the years. she is the truest of all friends. she can make me laugh when i don't feel like laughing and she can make me forget my 'cute little problems' after 38 seconds on the phone! i think we have spent more of our friendship laughing than anything else. (well, sometimes we gossip a little too).

once we went to 'time out for women' and shared a hotel room with 2 other gals and (i swear!) laughed ALL NIGHT LONG! we finally turned the lights off so we would shut up but then we all just laughed in the dark! i bet we only got about an hour sleep that night! what fun. i love that she is as nutty as i am, that we laugh at the same things, love the same books and movies, can tell each other anything and everything (and do).

so motherboard, my friend, thank you for showing up that day and for every day after that. what would i do without you? i love you.
and for those of you who haven't done their visiting teaching this month, GET OUT THERE! you never know ...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SO SWEET! gosh.... I love that story!!!!!!

She is AMAZING....and you are, too!

{yes you are...don't argue}

Mikki said...

Wow. I was reading through some of your older posts just now and cracking up. You are very funny. Then I read this one, and now I'm crying. I'm a horrible vt, but I know it works. A sweet vt is what helped me become an active member again.
Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing.

Elisa said...

Aww. Shucks. I forgot about your MIL...

We saved each other from our selves... and I thank God every day for that!

I Love you too!

Now, lets wipe those tears and do some more laughing...

Marty said...

Ah, yes. The MIL. Well, try being stuck between your wife and your mom. Thanks, motherboard, for keeping my wife sane while I moved my mom back near my bother.

Marty said...

That's brother, and it was no bother.

tracystreehouse said...

you're so funny, husband of mine!

Anonymous said...

great story. i need to do better with my hometeaching

Anonymous said...

yes....we WOULD have soooo much fun together! i just know it!!

Mikki said...

Hey, I was just wondering if my package made it to you yet. I think I put it in the mail last Tuesday, so I'm hoping you got it by now. I sort of fibbed on one of the questions (is there any flammable liquid inside i.e. perfume etc. etc.)
so, I just hope it didn't explode enroute. :o)

Wonder Woman said...

I'm totally infatuated with Motherboard and thought I'd come see her sweet friend.

Good for you, finishing school! I hope to do the same some day.

Love your quirks and that you're so willing to share them. I'm totally the same way. Want to share my weirdness with everyone. =D

I *really* like your blog. I'll be back.

Quotes

Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity.-Margaret Nadauld
 

Tracy's Tree House | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates